Delayed Puberty in Females: Why It Happens and What to Do About It
Delayed puberty is when
- Girls have not started to develop breasts by 13 years of age,
- They have developed breasts but their periods have not started by 15
- Not starting to menstruate within 5 years of when breasts start to grow or by age 16
Causes of delayed puberty
It is usually not clear what causes delayed puberty in girls but other factors can play a role in this. They include:
- Long term illness
- A problem with the ovaries
- Genetics or family history
How Is Delayed Puberty Treated?
Delayed puberty can be treated by:
- Treating any underlying cause
- Using medication for a few months to increase hormone levels and trigger the start of puberty
Delayed puberty can be difficult for anyone to accept and deal with. But it's a problem that usually gets solved. Ask for help if you have any concerns about your development.