HOW DO I TELL MY BOYFRIEND (OR PARTNER) THAT I’M PREGNANT?
Unfortunately, there is no magic formula that will make this task easy or guarantee that your boyfriend is going to react the way you hope.
Our first tip is not to wait too long to tell him. He has the right to know you’re pregnant, and you need to find out how he feels about it.
You need to know whether or not he is going to help you and support the decisions you make.
Before talking to your boyfriend, it’s a good idea to learn more about your options and start thinking about how you feel and what you want to do.
Although you still have some time to decide, it’s better to start forming your own ideas before talking with other people and filling your head with their thoughts.
Also, the more informed you are, the better you’ll be able to describe the situation to your boyfriend.
Chose a time and a place where you know you can be by yourself and take all the time you need.
You can introduce the topic by telling your boyfriend that you have to talk to him about something serious, and you really need his help and support.
Then just tell him straight out that you just found out you’re pregnant.
The news of your unplanned pregnancy might be as overwhelming for your boyfriend as it has been for you.
There is no way to know in advance how he is going to react to news like this. He might question the news and ask you how you can be sure of it.
He might ask you to prove it—for instance, by buying another pregnancy test and letting him see the result.
Don’t take this personally; just answer his questions. He’s probably desperately hoping to find an easy way out of the situation.
Once reality dawns on him, he could react in many different ways:
- He might say he will support you whatever you decide.
- He might say that he wants the baby, and that you will raise him or her together.
- He might say he is not ready to be a father but will help you if you decide to keep the baby.
- He might stay silent and petrified.
- He might get angry and yell at you.
- He might curse your bad luck or your stupidity as a couple.
- He might play it cool and act like it’s not a big deal.
- He might be a coward and tell you that it’s your problem and you have to deal with it
Whatever his first reaction is, just give him time. This news is a lot to process, and it may take a few days before the shock and confusion subside and he can respond more calmly.