Child marriage is any formal marriage or informal union where one or both of the parties are under 18 years of age.
Under Kenyan law, child marriage is illegal.
What is the cause of child marriage?
Child marriage is usually fueled by
- Gender inequality,
- Lack of education,
What is the impact of child marriage?
- Young girls are neither physically nor emotionally ready to give birth. Child marriage puts young brides at higher risks of death in childbirth and is particularly vulnerable to pregnancy-related injuries such as obstetric fistula.
- When a girl gets married, she is often expected to drop out of school.
- Girls married early are more likely to experience violence, abuse, and forced sexual relations due to unequal power relations. They are more vulnerable to sexually transmitted infections including HIV.
- Child marriage traps young girls in poverty
How can I help bring an end to child marriage?
Child marriage is a human rights violation that robs a girl of her childhood and education and limits her possibilities for growth and stability.
Ending child marriage is essential to enable millions of girls the opportunity for a better life and to realize their full potential.
Here is how you can help end child marriage
- Support girls to get an education and become independent
- Increase communities’ awareness of children’s rights
- Demand government to enforce laws to protect children