Your body needs nutrients, minerals, and vitamins in order to function properly.
Having proper nutrition is very important for your overall health including brain health and your mental health.
Your food choices each day affect your health — how you feel today, tomorrow, and in the future.
What does eating healthy mean?
Eating healthy is all about following a healthy eating pattern that includes a variety of nutritious foods and drinks.
Eating healthy includes
- Eating vegetables
- Eating fruits
- Eating whole grains
- Eating fat-free or low-fat food
- Eating food with protein including fish, chicken, and nuts
- Staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Cutting back on foods with sugars and salt
- Selecting calcium-rich foods like milk
Benefits of eating healthy
When you eat healthily, you can reduce the risk of
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Some types of cancer
When should I see a doctor
If you are worried about your eating habits and need help making healthier food choices, ask your doctor for help.