HIV and your mental health
If you are living with HIV, you are more likely to experience mental health problems such as
- Having suicidal thoughts
- Sleeping problems
- Low self esteem
Experiencing such mental health problems is common and normal. It is okay not to be okay.
Recognizing and accepting you have a mental health problem is the first step to managing your emotional wellbeing.
It is also important to know that there are many things you can do to help yourself feel better like;
- Talking to family and friends
- Join a support group or talking to your peers
- Exercising and staying healthy
- Eating healthy diet
- Getting enough sleep
- Being positive and trying to enjoy life
- Avoiding use of drugs and alcohol
- Getting professional help form your healthcare provider.
HIV is not a death sentence. With the right treatment and adherence to your treatment, you can live a happy and healthy life for many years and do all the things you want to do or accomplish in life.