Forgiving your partner and moving on together after cheating
Here are some tips on how to get over your partner cheating:
- Agree to be more open about what you do when you’re not together. For example, when you’re each seeing friends, enjoying your hobby, studying, or working late
- Agree to show each other online posts and social media for a while. Perhaps it may be necessary to share passwords for a few weeks
- Set a time limit on discussions and don’t talk about it when you’re tired of leaving for work or college
- Try not to avoid the subject. The cheating partner may want to draw a line under it. Or you may be afraid to ask questions in case the answers are too painful. But it’s important to ‘tell the story behind the cheating and why it happened
- Take an interest in each other’s lives and commit to being honest with each other in future
- Be patient and give it time. It could take a few months until you’re back on track
- Talk about future challenges or threats to your relationship. These might be crushes or continued friendship with an ex.
- Be committed: You both need to commit to making the relationship work. And both of you need to do this – and mean it.