If you are going through a very stressful, frightening, or distressing events, you are most likely experiencing trauma.
Trauma is a response to a deeply distressing or disturbing event that overwhelms your ability to cope.
Traumas can include experiences like death, the threat of death, serious injury, sexual assault, or other forms of violence or harm.
Causes of trauma
The following are potential causes of trauma:
- Physical, psychological, or sexual abuse
- Sexual assault
- Traffic collisions
- Life-threatening illnesses
- Sudden loss of a loved one
- Being attacked
- Being kidnapped
- Acts of terrorism
- Natural disasters
SYMPTOMS OF TRAUMA
Here are some basic common symptoms of trauma
- Altered sleep patterns
- Changes in appetite
- Dissociative disorders
- Substance abuse problems
What can I do to manage trauma?
You can do the following to help you manage trauma
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a healthy or balanced diet
- Get enough sleep
- Connect with friends and family
- Avoid alcohol and drugs
- Relieve stress with mindful or enjoyable activities
- Seek help from a professional counselor
If you're worried about trauma, it's important to seek help as soon as possible.