What to do if someone I know has been raped
Here are some tips for supporting someone who tells you they’ve been raped:
- Don’t panic. Listen and believe them and recognize their courage.
- Don’t ask too many detailed questions.
- Don’t judge them.
- Don't ask them why they didn't fight back.
- Don’t pressure them to report.
- Don’t make a police report without their consent.
- Encourage them to get help as soon as possible.
- Refer the survivor to the right place to get help.
- Be patient with them.